University of Colorado CIRES/NSIDC Technical Services Manager in Boulder, Colorado
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC),http://nsidc.org, part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
The Technical Services Service Group Manager reports to the Director of NSIDC and leads one of three service groups within NSIDC’s matrixed organization. The Technical Services Group (TSG) supports NSIDC’s programs and projects by maintaining and operating the complex technical infrastructure required to archive, distribute, and analyze scientific data and to develop and operate software applications and data systems. This infrastructure includes multi-platform hardware and software, data center facilities, and operational components and processes. The TSG is responsible for routine operations and sustaining engineering tasks as well as identification of new technologies that align with future requirements. The group comprises four functional teams: System Administrators maintaining NSIDC’s comprehensive computing and data storage environments; Database Administrators maintaining PostgreSQL database systems; Operators maintaining and operating NSIDC data systems; and Network and Security Administrators monitoring and managing center-wide cyber security and network infrastructure. The TSG Manager has overall responsibility for the effectiveness and the performance of TSG.
NSIDC Senior Management Team Member
· Provide operational support for NSIDC through coordination and collaboration with the Senior Management Team.
· Serve as an active member of the Senior Management Team participating in weekly meetings and working on high-level initiatives.
· Foster effective communication with the TSG, across the organization and with external stakeholders and collaborators.
· Encourage teamwork across the organization and support conflict resolution within the TSG and across NSIDC.
Technical Services Group Leadership
· Lead and manage the TSG (currently 13 people) with support from group supervisors and functional leads.
· Establish, manage and evolve the TSG vision and strategy to meet the current and evolving needs of internal projects, external customers, and funding agencies (NASA, NOAA, NSF).
· Foster a positive, collaborative, and productive work environment across TSG functions.
· Champion process improvement in response to changing projects, goals, data types, and technologies.
· Represent the TSG in larger contexts by understanding and voicing the needs of the team and acting as a conduit for feedback to the team.
· Evaluate and forecast staffing needs and oversee hiring.
· Provide coaching, development, performance reviews, discipline and termination as needed.
Technical Services Expertise
· Provide technical services expertise and leadership for the TSG, NSIDC programs and the broader organization.
· Responsible for ensuring a robust, secure, operational technical infrastructure including data storage, data center facilities, scientific computing capabilities, desktop computing capabilities, network services, cyber security, performance monitoring, and configuration management.
· Stay informed on current and rapidly evolving technologies (e.g., hardware, software, cloud computing) in order to guide and direct the evolution of NSIDC’s systems and services.
· Coordinate the development and implementation of short-term and long-term plans for information technology at NSIDC.
· Coordinate with University of Colorado Information Technology staff for use of University computing facilities, policies and procedures.
Project Management Collaboration
· Actively participate in the NSIDC project portfolio management process in collaboration with other Service Group Managers.
· Coordinate the scheduling and resource allocation of the TSG to support multiple projects across NSIDC in accordance with Principal Investigator needs and budgets, center-wide priorities, and the needs of project stakeholders.
· Work with Project Managers, Principal Investigators, and NSIDC financial staff in the development and adherence to project budgets.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or other related discipline
· Extensive leadership, management, and supervisory experience
· Experience with data center operations and administration of computer hardware/software systems and networks
· Effective collaboration, communication, and negotiating skills
· Flexibility and ability to succeed in a dynamic environment
· Ability to recruit, foster, and retain talent
· Experience in a scientific or academic setting
· Cloud computing experience
· Big data experience
· Experience working with an off-site data center
· Master’s degree in related discipline
Organization: *B0001 -- Boulder Campus
Title: CIRES/NSIDC Technical Services Manager
Requisition ID: 13757