Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer – Systems Engineering Fault Management Lead (665448) - Security clearance required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Senior Engineer – Systems Engineering Fault Management Lead
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead a team to establish the fault management baseline for space vehicles and/or missions.
What You’ll Do:
- Own fault management concept, development, test, and training/operations activities from program onset to delivery.
- Provide systems engineering leadership to develop spacecraft and/or mission-level fault management design
- Understand mission-level priorities and risk posture to inform fault management implementation
- Develop a working knowledge of all vehicles subsystems
- Lead teams of subject matter experts to solve unique design challenges related spacecraft health and safety
- Understand failure modes and effects for vehicle subsystems and components.
- Establish responses to maintain vehicle safety should a failure occur.
- Tailor and implement existing fault containment strategies based on program needs and requirements.
- Clearly and thoroughly document the fault management approach in Systems Engineering Reports.
- Represent program with internal and external customers as the fault management expert. Includes technical exchange meetings, presenting at formal and informal reviews, etc.
- Lead team effort to develop test plans, procedures, and scripts, and execute test campaigns to verify fault management design.
- Gain a detailed and architecture-level understanding of the spacecraft and/or mission system through creation & implementation of the fault management design
- Active member of vehicle systems engineering team, involved in vehicle-level design, requirements verification, integration and test and mission operations activities
- Collaborative member of fault management section, contributing to internal peer reviews, development of common philosophies and approaches, training and mentoring activities
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Required skills:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years related experience in either space vehicle systems, space vehicle operations or space vehicle test.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current TS/SCI security clearance
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn new technical areas
- Capability to think critically at all mission levels; architecture-level impacts of design decisions down to implementation details
- Flexibility to manage differing technical opinions, evolving customer needs, challenging budgets and schedules, and limited resources
- Collaborative, team-oriented approach to problem solving
- Effective in small team environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight
- Desired skills:
- In-depth experience with one or more spacecraft subsystem
- Previous fault management experience
- Experience with simulator/hardware test development and execution and/or mission operations
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience working with critical customer base, established relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Superb writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Top candidates will be goal oriented individuals with excellent organizational skills, a team mindset, and will be capable of coming up to speed quickly on the assigned program.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Senior Engineer – Systems Engineering Fault Management Lead (665448) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 665448
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time