VMware Technical Support Engineer - System Management in Broomfield, Colorado
VMware’s Technical Support Engineers support over 250,000 companies running VMware products in over 100 different countries. They support the entire suite of VMware products for global customers and partners, interfacing with them via the phone, email, and web. They resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction and troubleshooting by utilizing system administration, networking and storage skills.
• Respond to customer inquiries, primarily by telephone and e-mail
• Work flexible schedules, which may include evenings, weekends or holidays
• Resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting
• Work directly with other technical support staff, quality assurance, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and administration to resolve problems
• Document all technical inquiries, develop and review content for knowledgebase
• Help test alpha and beta products
• Experienced in troubleshooting Windows (MCSE/MCP).
• Experience with Server Management Software (HP Insight Manager, IBM Director, Dell Open Manage).
• Experience in troubleshooting Linux or UNIX and providing technical support to customers.
• Experience in LAN/WAN environments.
• Experience with kernel (Linux) or registry (Windows) configuration and debugging.
• Experience with trouble-shooting hardware related issues.
• Experience Troubleshooting 3rd party application integration.
• Experience Troubleshooting Operating system support.
• Experience Performance troubleshooting.
• Minimum 3+ years experience in software and hardware
• Working knowledge of Microsoft (Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 98, 95, and 3.1; MS-DOS), plus x86 platforms, devices, and networking
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Case/Customer Management skills
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional collaboration skills and a passion for problem solving
• Standard hours of operation in the Broomfield center are 7am – 7 pm and include weekend coverage.
• Weekend coverage models allow for a 4x10 schedule (Fri – Mon).
B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or equivalent work experience
Highly Preferred Skills
• Experience with database related technology and administration (SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc)
• Experience with ESX Server and/or Virtual Center Server
• Experience with SQL query language
• Experience with SQL Server or Oracle dB (DBA)
• Experience with Remote Access Trouble-shooting
o WebEx or ILO cards
• SAN Knowledge
• Networking Knowledge
• Linux command-line skills and shell scripting and/or programming
• Experience in customization of Windows and/or Linux operating systems
• Experience with Servers (Dell, HP, IBM, etc)
• Experience with Server Management Software
• Experience with Domain integration – Active Directory
• Experience with firewalls and security related issues
• Background in System Administration
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.