Comcast Network Technician, XOC in Centennial, Colorado
Comcast Technology Solutions' purpose is to be the most valued partner to those leading the future of media and technology. Leveraging the most complete portfolio of capabilities, unmatched expertise and Comcast's unrivaled infrastructure, we help customers thrive in a rapidly evolving multi-platform world by powering extraordinary experiences to every screen. If you share a passion for contributing your talents to empowered teams, possess an entrepreneurial spirit and are driven by imagination and possibilities, we want to develop and grow your career at Comcast Technology Solutions.
Our Video Reliability & Quality Team works in an open environment that encourages teamwork and collaboration. We work in a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year environment. The atmosphere can be loud and full of energy, as teams tend to jump into action when issues arise. Communication is our key to success. When we receive notification that there is an issue, we confirm the problem and open trouble tickets. Documentation is paramount to this process you will need to not only perform the initial troubleshooting processes, but also provide detailed documentation on the ticket so the technical teams downstream have the vital information they need to perform their jobs. You are the first line of support, so your assessment will determine the route and steps taken to resolve the issue.
You will become familiar with different ways to troubleshoot various problems. You will also become familiar with our ticketing systems and documentation processes. You will work with numerous monitoring and troubleshooting tools. Most importantly, you will be able to respond quickly to outages and keep them to a minimum. You will be expected to mentor new hires and current staff. You will be expected to become subject matter experts and provide training to the staff. You will be asked to represent our department in meetings and on teams relating to our mission. You may participate in projects that touch our organization, providing feedback, protecting our interests and keeping our staff apprised of the progress.
This role may require you to work overnight shifts and include weekends and holidays. We consider this an essential role at Comcast, so extended hours could be necessary when driving conditions are difficult for incoming shifts, we experience staffing emergencies, or during periods of heavy on air issues.
Expected to know all Tech 1 responsibilities as indicated in the Tech 1 job description
Respond to systems notifications on service failures (visual and audible on multiple service platforms)
- Work with multiple automation and ticketing systems as well as surveillance and diagnostic tools
- Follow Tier-1 Comcast troubleshooting procedures to authenticate and restore service integrity
- Create and maintain chronological trouble tickets concerning on-air issues and maintenance activities
- Perform daily channel scans and routine error monitoring checks
- Coordinate with Comcast employees and / or external vendors to resolve on air issues
- Follow-up with internal and external vendors and providers on service issues and statuses
- Techs will respond to colored alarm and error monitoring systems with first tier troubleshooting responsibility (specific vision abilities include good color vision, close vision and distance vision)
- Must be demonstrate proficient escalation capabilities (escalate up to the VP level)
- Ability to work well with a team in an open environment
- Ability to handle fast paced situations with speed and accuracy
- Must be customer focused
- Must be willing to work on side projects and teams as deemed necessary
- Have a basic understanding of Supervisor duties and the tools they utilize
- Provide break and meal relief for the Tech Operators on their scheduled shift
- Support the Supervisor when needed during busy periods, breaks, and meal relief
- Has a thorough understanding of all VRQ processes and procedures
- Coordinate on air issues, organize and track statuses, and report up to Supervisor
- Represent VRQ in meetings and conference calls
- Build reports and track metrics for the department
- Conduct continuation training for Tech Operators as needed, requested or scheduled for department. Write/update training documents and processes.
- Mentor new and existing Tech Operators
- Expected to lead and support VRQ related projects and teams as requested
- Other Duties as assigned
- Must have 5 years of experience in a broadcast operations environment including MPEG4/MPEG2 as well as troubleshooting knowledge of RF, IP and fiber backhaul networks
- Must have a thorough understanding of digital signal flows
- Must have the ability to multitask and prioritize
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot with multiple tools and resources
- Must be able to work independently without direct supervision
- Must possess above average writing skills to document on-air issues and maintenance activities accurately and expediently
- Must possess above average verbal skills to relay important information verbally to peers and leadership
- The Dry Creek Media Center is a 24/7 facility. All applicants must be willing to work all shifts (days, evenings and overnights), weekends and holidays
- Must possess outstanding telephone etiquette
- Requires highly developed organizational skills
- Must be willing and able to adapt in a quick changing environment
- A college degree or specialized training in broadcasting or networking is preferred
- Position is located at the Dry Creek Media Center in Centennial, Colorado
The VIPER team is an organization within Comcast Technology Solutions which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's World Class Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM Video Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player Consuming experiences we control the end-to-end Video delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on stb's, connected tv, mobile and desktop products.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer