University of Denver Junior Database Administrator - Information Technology in Denver, Colorado
Dedicated to quality, innovation, engagement, integrity and inclusion, University Technology Services/Enterprise Application Services (UTS/EAS) maintains the highest standards in providing a wide range of software solutions to units throughout the University. UTS/EAS maintains software systems that support the University's core business as well as develops custom applications in partnership with DU departments to enhance services to our community. Our services range from consultation to implementation to continuous support of software solutions. Services include:
- Software implementation, support, and development
- Secure access to institutional information
- Database development and administration
- Data interfaces
- Document Management Workflow solutions
- Business Process analysis and improvements
- Consultation with DU departments on software development or purchase
- Data Warehouse administration, reporting and data mining
- Business Intelligence, Advanced Analytics, and Dashboards UTS/EAS ensures the current and future software applications are efficient and effective, maintains an appropriate balance between leading-edge activities and core business processes, and provides appropriate information access and data security.
- UTS/EAS is responsible for all aspects of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, Database Management, Data Warehouse administration, Information Analytics (BI), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Learning Management System (LMS), Document Management and Workflow.
The Junior Database Administrator (DBA) typically performs the duties of a Production DBA, a Weblogic Administrator, and an Application DBA. This position is responsible for database and application server installations and upgrades. This position installs and maintains the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Data Warehouse, and other administrative applications. The Junior DBA will perform database and application server monitoring, and database backup and recovery. This position reports to the Director of Enterprise Software Development and Database Administration and participates in team projects related to database administration.
Perform the following duties under supervision:
- Create and maintain Oracle and SQL Server databases required for development, testing, and production usage.
- Install, configure, and administer Oracle Weblogic Server and other application servers.
- Perform ERP, Data Warehouse, and other Administrative software installs, upgrades, and patches Execute backup and recovery strategies for databases and applications Monitor databases and applications for availability.
- Provide 24/7 support for critical situations on an on-call basis.
- Follow enterprise standards to apply requested and approved modifications to database structures, data, and applications.
- Manage complete project lifecycle.
- Effectively communicate project status with direct supervisor and project owner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of relational database theory, design, and architecture.
- Knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL.
- Oracle and/or SQL Server preferred.
- Basic understanding of routine maintenance, backup and recovery of a database.
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client/Server, Internet/Intranet, Enterprise.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business correspondence, policies, and technical procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to utilize general mathematical concepts.
- Ability to apply concepts and analyze relevant data.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standardization and documentation exists.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, and diagram form.
- Ability to prioritize and organize high volume of work.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Work effectively in team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Committed to providing excellent customer service.
- Strong and innovative problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 1-2 years of experience in database administration (preferably Oracle and/or SQL Server) or coursework specific to database administration.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer information systems or other related field.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Sunday, November 25, 2018.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
In order to receive full consideration for the position, you are required to include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an affirmative action employer and that age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law are not taken into account in any employment decision.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Tracking Code: 005393
Department: UTS-Enterprise Services (399400)
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular