Comcast Senior Manager, VIPER Engineering Effectiveness in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology. Product. Xperience organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Manager level candidate to lead the VIPER Engineering Effectiveness Team. This is a technical leadership role, reporting to the Vice President of Software Engineering at VIPER.
What is the VIPER Engineering Effectiveness Team?
The VIPER Engineering Effectiveness team consists of 5 software engineers responsible for the improving the overall effectiveness of a 100 person software engineering organization. This team analyzes development metrics and figures out how to improve them. Improvements are achieved by building tools, developing libraries, driving standardization, evangelizing best practices, and championing process or workflow improvements.
Who does the leader of VIPER Engineering Effectiveness Team work with?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. You will collaborate with industry experts from many disciplines: software architects, network engineers, big data scientists, player developers, content security specialists, and various streaming video technologists. You will partner with senior engineering leadership to identify and prioritize your team's projects. You and your team will be engineering solutions for engineers.
What is an interesting problem you'll be working on?
Among other things, your team builds and maintains the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipelines that support the development, testing and deployment of Comcast's IP video stack. You will decide on how to evolve these CI/CD systems to improve the effectiveness of the engineering teams; blue-green deployments, integration with automated testing gates, telemetry feedback loops, fault detection and diagnostic captures, etc.
Where can you make an impact?
Your work will enable first-to-market video features for tens of millions of customer devices, all day, every day.
- Develop a team of software engineers focused on helping other software engineers
- Identify, measure, and analyze key development metrics
- Identify and reduce development process inefficiencies
- Maintain and evolve VIPER specific development support systems (ex: Concourse)
- Be the local administrator of Comcast development support systems (ex: GitHub Enterprise, Jira)
- Evangelize engineering best practices for software deployed into the Comcast cloud computing infrastructure
- Foster an environment of innovation and collaboration
Skills & Requirements
- Experience developing on Linux Operating Systems
- Experience developing networked software: HTTP, REST, web services, TCP/IP
- Experience developing distributed systems; Docker & Kubernetes experience is highly desired
- Experience creating and maintaining CI/CD pipelines; Concourse experience is highly desired
- Strong analytical & strategic planning skills; ability to set clear objectives and priorities to drive execution
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships, to influence without direct authority
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
- 3 years people leadership in a software development environment
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer