Comcast Engineer 5, Software Development & Engin in Englewood, Colorado
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
OSS Tools team @Comcast is seeking an Oracle DBA/PL-SQL Developer Engineer 5 role for managing Oracle RAC environment. You will be working with software developers to support and operate Oracle in production and non-production environments.
- Design, configure, optimize, maintain and support highly transactional Oracle clustered environment for optimum performance and 100% uptime for 24/7 business critical applications
- Provide production support in 24/7 environment on as needed basis and in partnership with operation teams
- Participate in the development cycle, contributes with PL/SQL development and guide application developers with Oracle related development
- Understand application functionality as it relates to database operation and provide feedback for improving performance
- Provides new hardware specifications based on application needs and anticipated growth, installs, configure new database servers and maintains the server infrastructure
- Collaborate with administrators and application teams to ensure that business applications are highly available and performing within agreed upon service levels
- Resolves technical issues through debugging, research and investigation. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Contributes to command and control related activities focused on restoration of complex outages, communication across Comcast, and rapid restoration
- Review and find existing issues and resolve them to improve database performance and uptime
- Uses knowledge of existing database platforms to evaluate and recommend new technologies
- Creates and maintain database policies, standards, current patching and overall documentation
- Work on high availability, replication, backup & recovery policies, baseline architecture, user access, data security & audit violations
- Evaluate and provide recommendation on new technologies as it pertains to handling large volume of data in highly transactional environment
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field
- 10 years' experience with Oracle RDBMS including 11gR2, 12c, RAC, Oracle DataGuard, ASM, Oracle Enterprise Manager, RMAN, Linux/Unix experience
- 1-3 years hands on experience with Oracle Golden Gate in a production environment, with direct experience in installation, setup, modification and troubleshooting
- 2 year installing, automating, scaling and supporting NoSQL databases such as HBase, Couchbase, ElasticSearch, MongoDB among other emerging technologies
- 2 experience in Scripting/Automation, preferably Python/Shell/Perl
- Knowledge and experience with relational DBMS concepts, design, architecture, operations and systems
- Experience to include, installation, performance tuning, database monitoring, database backup/recovery, capacity management, high availability and replication.
- Experience in Big data technologies like Hadoop/HBase, Hive is strong plus
- Master understanding of database concepts, availability, performance, usage and configuration.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with little to no supervision, work well under pressure, team leadership skills
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary. Must be able to support 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Good understanding and prior experience with agile development methodologies
- Self-driven individual with ability and willingness to learn new technologies and find practical usage within application
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting abilities
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer