Colorado State University Data Analyst in Fort Collins, Colorado
Working Title Data Analyst
Position Location Fort Collins, CO
Research Professional Position No
Posting Number 202000698AP
Position Type Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Classification Title Prof/Indiv Contrib I
Number of Vacancies 1
Work Hours/Week 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range $50,000-$60,000
Desired Start Date 11/03/2020
Position End Date (if temporary)
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 10/08/2020
Description of Work Unit
CSU Online, Division of Continuing Education, is a self-supporting unit that develops and delivers quality programs and educational opportunities in support of the University’s land grant mission. CSU Online provides affordable access to a quality education from wherever students call home around the nation and the world, on a schedule that fits their lives. CSU Online offers more than 40 degrees, online and at a distance, as well as credit and noncredit courses, certificate programs, and digital badges.
This position is responsible for supporting the advancement of CSU Online goals and daily operations through the collection, interpretation and communication of critical data including, but not limited to learning, financial, marketing and business data. This position will work with staff both within and outside CSU Online to facilitate data driven business decisions.
This position relies on both technical capability in the form of data mining and querying through a variety of analytics tools, as well as organizational capabilities in the form of report and dashboard design and creation. The ability to present data in an easily consumable manner is essential to this role.
The right candidate will contribute to a dynamic environment and work closely with other members of the Institutional Research & Analytics team, to develop cutting-edge solutions for database applications, business intelligence, learning analytics, data visualization, and digital reporting tools.
Some after-hours and weekend work are required. This position reports to the IT Manager for CSU Online.
Required Job Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in field, such as computer science, economics, mathematics, statistics, psychology, sociology, natural science or related degree. • Evidence of effective written, oral, and visual communication skills. • Evidence of personal initiative and ability to independently pursue solutions. • At least three years professional experience in a combination of the following: o Compiling, merging, and cleaning data from multiple sources and systems. o Extracting data from relational databases using SQL. o Analyzing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data. o Use of languages functionally required for data analytics. (e.g. R, Python, etc.) o Development of reports and dashboards used for data analytics purposes. o Provide insight and direction in the selection and configuration of analytics applications. (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI) o Communication of analysis and results to non-technical individuals. • The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States by the proposed start date; Continuing Education/CSU Online will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Advanced degree or certifications directly related to data analytics. • Experience working with data in a Higher Education environment. • Demonstrated ability to perform accurate and thorough statistical analyses including both descriptive and inferential statistics (e.g., linear and logistic regression, t-tests, etc.). • Experience developing, administering, and analyzing survey questionnaires as well as familiarity with survey tools such as Qualtrics. • Experience conducting focus groups and interviews. • Demonstrated ability to design effective data visualizations. • Ability to manage multiple requests and deadlines, as well as communicate task and project progress to organization staff. • Capable of working independently on assignments, collaborating with others, as well as the ability to maintain effective working relationships.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Data Analysis & Reporting
• Collect assessment and research data (e.g., perform data mining in digital learning tools and transactional systems, administer surveys, host focus groups, conduct interviews). • Extract, clean, process, and validate data using industry standard tools (e.g. SQL, Python, R) for analysis. • Perform qualitative and quantitative data analysis using industry standard tools. (R, SQL, SPSS, and/or Excel) • Develop automated reports using industry standard tools (e.g. SQL, R, Python, Tableau, Einstein, PowerBI, etc.) to provide feedback and analysis results to key stakeholders (e.g., instructors, instructional designers, university officials, and administrators) to inform decision-making and strategic planning. • Write assessment, research, and program evaluation reports. • Design and deliver presentations based on assessment and research to university officials, administrators, instructors, and advisors, as well as at research and industry conferences. • Develop data documentation and assist in the design of data models. • Stay up-to-date on methods in analytics (e.g., data mining, research modeling, and statistical methods) and educational research. • Explore and test analytics tools and data-visualization software.
Percentage Of Time 70%
Job Duty Category Assessment Project Design and Support
• Confer with stakeholders to gather and understand requirements for data requests, project design, and reporting needs based on business objectives. • Work with faculty and administrators at CSU Online and across the University to plan, design, and consult on educational research projects. • Design assessment tools (survey, focus group, interview questions) for gathering feedback and data on CSU programs and processes.
Percentage Of Time 20%
Job Duty Category Project Management
• Manage small projects and prioritize tasks associated with those projects. • Coordinate departmental teams (e.g. Marketing, Programs, etc.) and external parties on analytics projects. • Supervise undergraduate and graduate student employees.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants must submit a cover letter which addresses how professional experiences align with identified required and preferred qualifications of the position and a current resume. Reference checks will be conducted through an online system called SkillSurvey. If you advance to the reference check stage, you will be asked to provide contact information for your references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Erin Thompson, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO. 80523, (970) 491-1715.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in field, such as computer science, economics, mathematics, statistics, psychology, sociology, natural science or related degree?
* Please list how many years of experience you have in each of the following:
Compiling, merging, and cleaning data from ,multiple sources and systems.
Extracting data from relational databases using SQL.
Analyzing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data
Use of languages functionally required for data analytics (e.g. R, Python, etc)
Development of reports and dashboards used for data analytics purposes
Provide insight and direction in the selection and configuration of analytics applications (e.g. Tableau, PowerBi)
Communication of analysis and results to non-technical individuals.
(Open Ended Question)
* CSU Online will not provide sponsorship- Understanding this, will you be legally authorized to work by the desired start date?