Colorado State University Digital Marketing and Communications Coordinator in Fort Collins, Colorado
Posting Detail Information
Working Title Digital Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Research Professional Position No
Posting Number 201800836AP
Position Type Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Number of Vacancies
Work Hours/Week 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range $50,000 - $65,000
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Posting Date
Open Until Filled Yes
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 09/30/2018
Description of Work Unit
The College of Business at Colorado State University is an AACSB accredited business school that enrolls more than 2,500 undergraduate students in eight business concentrations and approximately 1,500 graduate students across eight graduate programs. We are a top-ranked school with the #1 Online MBA program in Colorado and #10 in the nation. Our staff and faculty represent the caliber of our institution and continuously work to enhance the student experience and research impact of our school-wide efforts. The College’s marketing and communications team is responsible for brand and revenue generation strategies and tactics across audiences, including prospective students, current students, staff/faculty, executives, alumni, academic influencers, the CSU campus community, donors and the business community. The team is in the process of transitioning from an account-based structure to an in-house strategy and content-delivery model. As a new role and new member to this team, you’ll help establish our best practices for external marketing and communications and have a key role in creating our brand story and voice amongst external audiences.
This position is new for the College of Business and is responsible for digital and traditional multi-media content creation efforts associated with media, external audiences and the College Dean. Content created for all audiences must be persuasive, accurate and further enhance our brand position. This role will actively be involved in shaping the College’s reputation with media (in collaboration with campus), engage in crafting talking points, speeches and presentations for the College Dean associated with external audiences, provide pre- and post-event visibility, messaging and positioning for signature external events and lead execution of the College’s annual magazine, including writing the majority of the features and managing the overall production process. This role will need to be able to write and deliver content in a voice and style that is effective for the intended audience across different distribution channels (media, magazine, email, web, social, etc). Our ideal candidate is at ease with digital platforms, metrics and data analysis and knows how to blend the best of content creativity with channel-specific digital performance. Efforts will be in collaboration with designers, photographers and videographers when needed. For complex projects, organization is key and you’ll need to be able to bring others along with your ideas through effective outlines, storyboards and content in MS Word/PowerPoint in advance of final content production and reviews in the appropriate content distribution platform.
Required Job Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, English, or related-field • 5+ years professional work experience in a marketing/communications type role or related position • Writing skills in a number of different styles/tones for multi-media formats • Experience creating digital content via email and social channels • Experience coordinating and managing projects • Knowledge of website communication accessibility standard WCAG 2.0
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Expertise in MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite • Experience with Google Analytics, UTM parameters and digital performance metrics • Basic HTML editing abilities
Our ideal candidate: You love writing and know how to make a point. You continue to hone your skill on a daily basis and have the ability to flex your writing style depending on the need and understand how content works in different channels. Whether it’s a short, pithy headline, a longer story or a media pitch, you write content in persuasive manner to work within a channel in the right style and in line with specific design elements. You know the rules of grammar and when to break them to make content sticky. You assess content holistically and connect the dots across digital and traditional channels. You’ll also have great research, organization and project coordination skills. To top it off, you have a can-do attitude, strategic mindset, willingness to learn and can prioritize and deliver content in a fast-paced environment. If this is you, join our team and be prepared to do great things!
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Media Response and Positioning
• Liaise with campus media relations and internal stakeholders to respond to media requests and coordinate media positioning. • Write press releases in collaboration with campus and key stakeholders to build College reputation and gain visibility. • Identify opportunities to proactively pitch media to elevate College’s thought leadership and business influence messaging. Write persuasive and accurate content as needed for media features. • Develop and maintain media calendar. • Analyze media rankings and underlying influences in collaboration with other College departments and implement communications initiatives to enhance future rankings. • Write talking points for leadership to address sensitive media-related issues in conjunction with Director of Marketing and Communications.
Percentage Of Time 15
Job Duty Category College magazine
• Work with Director of Marketing and Communications and key stakeholders to establish annual theme for magazine and develop story board. • Curate, write and create magazine features in coordination with Campus Creative Services and key stakeholders. • Create a project management plan addressing all production and distribution elements of print and digital needs and effective promotion of the magazine. Manage self and others to ensure tasks remain on task to deliver magazine on time and within budget.
Percentage Of Time 25
Job Duty Category Signature External Events
• Manage and create marketing and communications materials and messaging associated with strategic external events, including writing content. Efforts include creating presentations, event promotions, web landing pages, feature stories, key note speeches, social posts, branded materials and branded promotions. Events may require coordination with campus-level advancement events coordinator and others. • Create and communicate standard event plans and timelines to effectively plan for recurring annual events in collaboration with key stakeholders.
Percentage Of Time 25
Job Duty Category School-wide External Marketing Materials and Brand Promotions
• Write and deliver content for school-wide branded multi-media materials such as brochures, videos, flysheets and other assets to convey brand messaging to broad external audiences. Coordinate with designers, videographers and other stakeholders to create impactful and easily understandable assets. • Research, implement and manage external-facing brand promotions. • Establish and maintain processes and calendars associated with external brand promotions. Coordinate with internal brand promotions as needed.
Percentage Of Time 15
Job Duty Category Strategic External Communications – Specialty Audiences
• Collaborate with Director of Marketing & Communications and key stakeholders on broad, external messaging for College Dean. Includes creating master presentations, helping articulate the strategic vision for external audiences, key note speeches and talking points. • Leads and crafts content for digital initiatives associated with academic influencers, broad business community, corporate partners and College Centers. Efforts range from newsletters, social and video-based campaigns directed towards academic influencers to positively impact rankings to launching new programs for College Centers/Institutes.
Percentage Of Time 20
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please submit (1) Resume (2) Cover Letter (3) Contact information for three references (4) Writing Samples: (a) writing sample of 200 words or less. Include a headline (b) writing sample between 500 and 1500 words. Include a headline. Please combine both writing samples into one document and upload it to the Writing Samples slot.
Writing samples will be evaluated based upon spelling, grammar, tone, style, and ability to follow directions .
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested 3
Maximum Requested 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have knowledge of website communication accessibility standard WCAG 2.0 (for further information please follow this link: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCG20/)?
2.Describe the approach you took to coordinate/manage a complex marketing/communications effort in 200 words or less.
(Open Ended Question)