Google Systems Administrator, Google Fiber in Thornton, Colorado
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Thornton, CO, USA; Council Bluffs, IA, USA
Systems Administrators embrace Google's motto to ensure millions of users can access the world's information without a glitch. As a Systems Administrator at Google, you own and support the needs of one of Google's server infrastructure systems. You're highly technical and work directly with other server and service owners to ensure reliability and sustainability of the Google service infrastructure as well as compliance with internal policies. Success in this role means you are able to support servers in a mixed operating system environment and work efficiently with our internal technology providers as well as other operations groups. Googlers rely on your guidance when it comes to design decisions so you'll have a direct impact in keeping the business productive.
You participate in and lead strategic projects that span multiple domains with the goal of improving operational efficiencies and creating design solutions for 3rd party technology limitations. As a leader of the team, you help your teammates refine their technical skills, perhaps by leading brown bag sessions or tech talks, and act as the final escalation point for on-call issues.
As a Systems Administrator, you will ensure Google users can access the world's information without a glitch. In this role, you will manage and support the needs of the server infrastructure and systems, working directly with other server and service owners to ensure reliability and sustainability of the Access infrastructure and compliance with internal policies.
At Access, our mission is to create abundant internet on networks that are always fast and always open. Google Fiber provides superfast Internet to homes across the U.S. We want to bring Google Fiber to customers even faster, so we’re focused on making deployment more efficient and less intrusive.
- Administer different systems including configuration, troubleshooting and automation.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
- Analyze complex system behavior, performance and application challenges.
- Ensure the uptime and availability of Google's products to customers and Googlers.
- Respond to tickets within team defined Service Level Objectives (SLO).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience implementing, troubleshooting, and supporting Unix/Linux operating systems, Internet-based applications and web servers.
- Experience scripting and actively writing/modifying code to improve monitoring and automation in Perl, Python or Shell.
- Experience with LANs/WANs.
- Experience programming in C, C++, Java, Perl, Go, Ruby or PowerShell.
- Experience with mixed operating systems.
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environments.
- Demonstrated understanding of Cloud technologies including Containerization, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Demonstrated understanding of OS internals (e.g. file systems, storage, process lifecycle).
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.