Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. IT Database and Systems Administrator II, III or Senior (IRC27052) in Westminster, Colorado
Responsible for installing, monitoring, maintaining, and tuning all databases, while ensuring high levels of data and system availability. Responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software. Ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions through the monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing of all networked software and associated operating systems. Utilizing proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills, assists with identifying, communicating, and resolving issues in order to maximize the benefit of Information Technology (IT) systems investments.
NOTE: There is one position available and this position will be filled at either the IT Database and Systems Administrator II (NB19), IT Database and Systems Administrator III (NB21) or IT Senior Database and Systems Administrator (NB23). This decision will be based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Installs, monitors, maintains and tunes databases and operating systems for the MS SQL databases.
- Manage the MS SQL Server relational database management system hosted on the Microsoft Windows platform running on an all-virtualized platform utilizing VMWare in a 24 x 7 environment.
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
- Collaborate, coordinate and cohesively work with Database Administrators and Applications/ Business teams to support enterprise applications.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Troubleshoot minor to major problems on an as-needed basis - often requiring time sensitive response and pro-active communication to different groups within the organization.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Establish and maintain a reporting method on database health and wellness.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems, or removing legacy systems.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company's disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Ensure architecture principles and technology standards are consistently applied and updated as appropriate.
- Document procedures, guidelines, and baselines for database and systems technologies.
- Maintain ongoing communications with all systems stakeholders.
- Assist in the development, implementation, testing and maintenance of the incident response, disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; work with team members to do the schedule as well; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values
- Excellent communications skills, especially technical report writing
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, and other related applications
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Training
- Bachelor's Degree in business, computer science or information systems desired. Other degrees will be considered
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Knowledge of North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and CIP
- Knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX)
- Working technical knowledge of current server and storage protocols, including Windows, Netapp, and VMware specifically
- Very strong skills in MS SQL and MS Windows
- Working knowledge of networks.
- Good understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Working knowledge of security techniques and information systems.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to present and conform to best practices for database and operating system technologies.
- Project management skills required to provide leadership in planning and organizing hardware and software changes.
- Skills in written and verbal communications, relating technical aspects to management and end users
- Skills in reading and evaluating technical information. Skills in managing, planning and organizing their own work efforts
- Ability to react calmly, quickly, and rationally during crisis situation
- Eight (8) years of progressive related experience in MS SQL
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers, including Oracle and MS SQL.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting. Experience with SQL always-on is a plus
- Database refreshes, backups, and upgrades in both Oracle and SQL
- Experience working with an application team to configure systems and databases as required
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general server and storage management best practices.
- Proven experience with core Operating Systems, and virtualization, including VMware.
- Excellent troubleshooting experience.
- Server, storage, and application support experience, strong troubleshooting of IT technologies
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Project management experience.
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time on an annual basis. (Possession of a current valid driver's license or ability to obtain).
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Certifications in MS SQL is a plus.
- Microsoft, VMware certifications highly desirable.
- Enterprise storage certifications also a plus.
The above requirements describe the experience and education qualifications for the IT Senior Database and Systems Administrator. Those with less experience will be hired for the Level II or III.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, bend and frequently utilize a keyboard/computer. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent will be required to problem solve, read, write and analyze data, work under schedules and deadline pressure, present information to others, work independently and use discretion and judgment for confidential or sensitive projects/issues.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to an office environment indoors, and will occasionally travel outdoors to multiple locations dependent on work.
Job Title: IT Database and Systems Administrator II, III or Senior (IRC27052)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Headquarters-Westminster, Colorado
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran